I love simple games: playing them and writing them.
But, it can be overwhelming getting started in the complex ecosystems of modern technology.
I am also writing some games with this library, and publishing them at smolpxl.artificialworlds.net:
I am hoping this site will gradually gain more and more Free and Open Source games, and start to rival some of the advertising-supported sites for the attention of casual gamers, especially kids.
Smolpxl is done for fun, and for its educational value, so it should be a safer place for kids than a world of advertising, loot boxes and site-wide currencies.
As I write games, I want to show how easy and fun it can be, so I will be streaming myself live doing it on twitch.tv/andybalaam, and putting the recordings up on peertube.mastodon.host/accounts/andybalaam and youtube.com/user/ajbalaam.
I am hoping these videos will serve as tutorials that help other people get into writing simple games.
Would you like to help? If so:
- Spread the word by sharing this blog post and sending people to smolpxl.artificialworlds.net.
- Write a game. You can get started by reading the code at gitlab.com/andybalaam/smolpxl or by watching the videos.
- Suggest other games. When their authors are willing, I want to include other Free and Open Source Software web-based games on the site – let me know what I should add.
- Join the chat at smolpxl.zulipchat.com.
- Follow me to stay informed – You can follow @firstname.lastname@example.org on Mastodon, subscribe to this blog’s RSS feed, or find me on PeerTube, YouTube, Twitch and even legacy social networks like Twitter.