FreeGuide freezes during downloads. How can I fix it?
There is a bug in Java 6 which can cause FreeGuide to run out of memory while it is downloading listings, and freeze up.
There are two possible ways to avoid this bug in Java:
- Use a different version of Java. Working versions include: Java 5, Java 7, and Java 6 after update 14. If you upgrade to Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 or Fedora 11, these already include Java 6 update 14, so you shouldn't see this problem. (Contact Us if you do.)
- Download a Xerces version that contains a fix.
- Download the file http://apache.mirror.anlx.net/xerces/j/Xerces-J-bin.2.9.1.zip , or a similar file from the Xerces download page.
- Unzip this file and copy the files xml-apis.jar and xercesImpl.jar into the "lib" directory in your FreeGuide installation directory (probably either C:\Program Files\FreeGuide\lib or /usr/share/freeguide/lib.
- If you want to confirm you have put them in the right place, run FreeGuide from the command line and check that you see the lines "Load module jar: lib/xercesImpl.jar" and "Load module jar: lib/xml-apis.jar" or similar.
If you try one of the above methods and FreeGuide still freezes during downloads, please try following the instructions about FreeGuide RunningOutOfMemory, and if that doesn't work, Contact Us.