FreeGuide freezes during downloads. How can I fix it?
There is a bug in Java 6 which can cause FreeGuide to run out of memory while it is downloading listings, and freeze up.
There are two possible ways to avoid this bug in Java:
- Use a different version of Java. Working versions include: Java 5, Java 7, and Java 6 after update 14. If you upgrade to Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 or Fedora 11, these already include Java 6 update 14, so you shouldn't see this problem. (Contact Us if you do.)
- Download a Xerces version that contains a fix.
- Download the file http://apache.mirror.anlx.net/xerces/j/Xerces-J-bin.2.9.1.zip , or a similar file from the Xerces download page.
- Unzip this file and copy the files xml-apis.jar and xercesImpl.jar into the "lib" directory in your FreeGuide installation directory (probably either C:\Program Files\FreeGuide\lib or /usr/share/freeguide/lib.
- If you want to confirm you have put them in the right place, run FreeGuide from the command line and check that you see the lines "Load module jar: lib/xercesImpl.jar" and "Load module jar: lib/xml-apis.jar" or similar.
If you try one of the above methods and FreeGuide still freezes during downloads, please try following the instructions about FreeGuide Running Out Of Memory, and if that doesn't work, Contact Us.